Nick and I were lucky enough to participate in the 2nd Annual Ethiopia Cup of Excellence auction… and, we secured 1 box (66lbs) of the 8th highest scoring coffee in the auction– a cupping score of 88.57! For any curious readers, the competition is rigorous, with cupping evaluations conducted over a three-stage process by industry experts: first by a National Jury of about a dozen qualified jurors from the origin country, and then by an International Jury, comprised of approximately 20-25 experienced jurors from around the world. A competition with 300 entries yields an average of 9,000 analyzed cups, with each “Top 10” coffee being cupped at least 120 times.
The NFT project will be 1 of 50 digital art pieces, including the chosen farmers’ award-winning coffee in an artisan roasted 8oz bag.
About Our NFT Project:
The NFT project will be 1 of 50 pieces, including the chosen farmers’ award-winning coffee in an artisan roasted 8oz bag. The proceeds of the NFT project (above and beyond costs) will go back to Cup of Excellence and the World Coffee Research to help contribute to their mission of empowering and improving the lives of coffee producers.
- DIGITAL ARTWORK: Your NFT purchase gets you a limited-edition piece of digital artwork that correlates back to an award-winning lot of coffee from the Cup of Excellence Ethiopia auction that occurs in July.
- ROASTED COFFEE: Each piece (50 in total) will also receive a 8oz bag of roasted coffee from the chosen farm.
- DONATION: A portion of the proceeds of the NFT will go back to supporting the Alliance for Coffee Excellence and World Coffee Research.
- YOUR FOREVER COFFEE EXPERIENCE: You will now have a collectible that ties your coffee drinking experience back to the producer. The digital artwork will feature the producer, the rank number in the auction, the varietal, and its cupping score.
Purchase Our First NFT On Rarible
2021 Cup of Excellence Winner: Rank #8
Producer: Asefa Dukamo
Cupping Score: 88.57
Taste Notes: Apple, Black Cherry, Lemon
NFT Purchase on Rarible.com
About Producer Tamiru Tadesse Tesema and Lot #8:
Asefa Dukamo, the first-born son of a coffee-growing family, helped cultivate coffee and other garden crops from a very young age. As a teenager, Asefa began buying coffee cherries from nearby relatives and villagers as well as coffee from his parent’s garden and made the arduous journey to distant washing stations. During this time, Asefa set a goal to open washing stations closer to his village to help coffee farmers cut their travel time, decrease transportation costs, and supply coffee cherries when they were at their peak freshness.
His dream became a reality when Asefa was able to open his first washing station in Girja village, less than a mile away from his home, and another in Eltama, roughly 19 miles from Girja, a year later.
How to Purchase:
Purchasing and owning an NFT isn’t complicated; it is actually quite simple!
We created a step-by-step guide on how to purchase an NFT.
About Our Partners:
The Cup of Excellence
Most think of the Cup of Excellence as the competition and auctions they hold, but their mission is much larger. The Cup of Excellence is an innovative, educational and life-changing program for coffee farmers where smallholder farmers gain global recognition for their high-quality lots while being properly and duly compensated through the participation of the auction. The competition itself is free and open to all farmers. It has given thousands of farmers the tools needed to improve their coffees, experiment with varieties and processing, build economic relationships with the marketplace, and become more financially independent.
The educational value of the competition goes well beyond the coffee score as it builds technical knowledge and skill that remains in-country for cuppers, roasters, event planners, and organizers and builds a shared international vocabulary to describe quality that remains with the thousands of volunteer cuppers making up the national and international juries.
Let’s reward coffee excellence and #BackCoffeeFarmers together.
World Coffee Research
The World Coffee Research’s strategic aim is to preserve origin diversity in the face of the climate crisis by accelerating innovation in coffee agriculture. Their core work continues to be around coffee genetic improvement. World Coffee Research works across the entire innovation pipeline to provide farmers with access to improved varieties, from breeding through field trials to nurseries and seed value chains.
Some of the areas World Coffee Research impacts include:
- Technology and Innovation: Agricultural R&D has been a precondition for the economic sustainability of farming for over 150 years. Farmers who have access to agricultural innovations like improved varieties are much more likely to be profitable from their farming. Improved varieties reduce farmers’ risk and improve climate resilience and productivity—leading to “more good beans from each tree”—and are a critical factor in reducing deforestation and reducing the GHG emissions from land-use change. It is essential for securing the long-term supply of coffee.
- Producer Impact: Agricultural R&D done right builds farmer resilience, profitability, and longevity.
- Coffee Consumers: For coffee lovers who want consistently delicious choices and are conscious about the wellbeing of coffee farmers, science and innovation ensure a sustainable future for coffee.